When? Sat 24th Feb – Mon 9th March 2024
Where? Fly into Conakry (2 nights) then bus to Bel Air by the beach. Final days at Room island.
Who? This camp is organised by Guinean artist Bamba Camara who resides in France. He is very well connected within the arts community and has run the tour successfully for 13 years. Teaching artists will be drummers and dancers from Les Ballets Merveilles. Confirmed dance teachers are Bountou Kouyate and Aboubacar Camara, with Makiti Camara as special guest teaching 1-2 classes at Room island.
What to expect
- 4hrs drum / dance per day on week days (10am – 12.00, 5pm-7pm)
- Evening campfire with singing, balafon, ngongoma & kora
- Accom in comfortable rooms with ensuite western style bathroom
- Traditional African food (rice, fish, meat, baguettes, tropical fruit) with provision for vegetarians
- Drum & dance performances by Les Ballet Merveilles and local ensemble on Isle de Room
- Informal classes to learn the local language
- Daytime optional activities: Visit school and national museum, learn to cook traditional African dishes, shopping for fabrics, arts and crafts at local market, relax at the beach
How much? Tour (2 weeks) is 1000 euro – currently around AUD $1700. Extra costs: flights, visa, spending money.
Registration is open now. 250 euro deposit to secure your place, full payment due mid Jan.
30 spots available.
Visa Online application here. Cost USD 80
Want to go? Mitzi is currently secretary for the anglophone cohort. Get in touch and we’ll secure you a spot! Filling up fast. firstname.lastname@example.org / 0439334197
Keep in touch by joining our Fb group: Let’s go to Guinea